5 Skin Care Faux Pas to Avoid
September 27, 2019
Good intentions and great skincare products can only do so much if you have some bad habits that get in the way of optimal healthy skin. It can be hard to know what the best and worst habits are so to give you a head start, we’ve compiled a list of the most common 5 skin care faux pas to avoid and advice on how to achieve your healthiest, most youthful-looking skin.
- NOT VIEWING SKINCARE HOLISTICALLY
While your products may be working their hardest, your lifestyle choices may be preventing you from reaching your skin goals. Wherever you live and whatever you do, the following tips will ensure you’re approaching skincare from a 360 perspective:
- Drink plenty of water. This one is always at the top of the list and for good reason. It’s the most basic daily habit you can have to help boost your skin’s hydration levels, leaving it plump, smooth and younger-looking.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet. Plenty of fruits and vegetables and lean proteins in your diet will allow your body to function at its best while providing essential vitamins and minerals to the skin.
- Don’t Smoke. This habit accelerates your skin’s natural aging process. Smoking decreases the level of oxygen delivered to your cells, causing fine lines, wrinkles and a dull complexion.
It can be tempting to cleanse your skin frequently, especially if you suffer from oily or blemish-prone skin. However, over-cleansing can make oily skin worse. This strips the skin’s of natural lipids and can cause an increase in sebum production, exacerbating shine and increasing the chance of blemishes.
Exfoliants are vital to maintaining skin health and when used correctly present a multitude of benefits. Consistent use of acid exfoliants can make the skin clearer, smoother and more radiant.
However, similar to over-cleansing, over-exfoliating can exacerbate skin concerns. So, how do you know if you’ve been over-exfoliating? The answer is simple – any signs that your skin has sustained a defensive response, such as excessive sebum production, breakouts, peeling or flaking, and tightness.
If you experience any of the above, you might try reducing the frequency of exfoliant use in your routine. Exfoliating 1 to 2 times per week will provide the benefits, without over-stimulating the skin. A gentle, yet effective exfoliant like Tevenere’s Refining Facial Peeling infused with Hemp Seed Oil helps rid skin of toxins and makeup residue without drying it out.
- NOT CLEANING YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES
It can be an easy task to procrastinate, however taking the time to individually clean your makeup brushes is central to obtaining healthy, glowing skin.
Every time you use a makeup brush, it collects and traps everything that is on your face. This includes oils, dead skin cells, dust, and other bacteria. So, every time you use an unclean brush, you are returning the perfect recipe for blemishes back to your face.
Cleaning your brushes 1 to 2 times per week can dramatically reduce the appearance of blemishes, as well as helping to preserve the quality of your makeup tools. Use a gentle foaming cleanser to ensure a thorough, clean that doesn’t leave a chemical residue.
- LACK OF SLEEP & SLEEPING IN MAKEUP
The hours we spend sleeping are some of the most important for our skin. For many of us, we struggle between a lack of sleep and being so tired that we cozy up for the night without removing our makeup!
Both these things negatively impact your skin’s health. Chronic sleep loss causes your body to release more cortisol, the stress hormone, leading to fine lines, wrinkles and a lackluster complexion. While sleeping with makeup on traps bacteria and oil within your pores, causing inflammation, comedones, and blemishes.
To get the most out of your sleep try the following:
- Digital Detox. Turn off all electronic devices at least 30 minutes before sleep. Detaching yourself from the ‘always-on’, stimulating blue light of cell phones, tablets and computers will help you to relax and slip into sleep mode more easily.
- Invest in high thread-count bedding. You don’t realize how much of a difference this can make until you spend a night on some super high-quality sheets. We can’t say enough about the 100% bamboo sheets from Unelma. Made of 100% bamboo fibers, which are softer than Egyptian cotton, not only do these sheets feel like silk, they wick away moisture & absorb liquids 4 times better than cotton.
- Remove your makeup before bed and apply your night time replenishing products in two easy steps. First, your Tevenere nourishing Vitamin C serum. Allow it to absorb into the skin and follow with the rejuvenating night cream to reveal a clear and radiant complexion by morning.
Thank you for reading the 5 skin care Faux Pas to avoid. Follow these simple rules and you’ll optimize your lifestyle to get the most out of your skincare products and have the best possible radiant, glowing, healthy skin.
2 thoughts on “5 Skin Care Faux Pas to Avoid”
I am a student of BAK College. The recent paper competition gave me a lot of headaches, and I checked a lot of information. Finally, after reading your article, it suddenly dawned on me that I can still have such an idea. grateful. But I still have some questions, hope you can help me.
אני מאוד ממליץ על אתר הזה כנסו עכשיו ותהנו ממגוון רחב של בחורות ברמה מאוד גבוהה. רק באתר ישראל נייט לאדי נערות ליווי